Friday, June 24, 2011

How to find sales in your area by subscribing to Craigslist searches

I have a tip!

If you're an avid google reader user and an avid craigslist peruser, I have a tip you might not be aware of. Did you know that you can subscribe to craigslist searches? This can be very helpful if you're looking for something in particular and don't want to waste time scrolling through postings!

I wanted to stay on top of estate sales on craigslist, so I went to the garage sale section and searched "estate." That returned a ton of results, of course but when you scroll all the way down, there's an RSS button:


See the little button in the bottom right corner? Click it and then you can add that search to your google reader or other RSS reader! Each time a new ad that matches your search is posted, it will show up in your reader!

It will add a lot of entries to your reader, but they're easy to skip through if they are not of interest to you (did you know you can press "j" and "k" on your keyboard to navigate up and down your google reader?). I tend to just look for the location of the sale and then skip over it if it's too far.

I *would* search "estate Nashville" but people post using neighborhoods sometimes and I don't want to miss out on a sale that is listed in "Green Hills" or "Music Row" because I only searched for "nashville."

I hope this tip helps you! Try it for furniture or cars or anything!

4 comments:

  1. do I dare set up a search for "free" junk? hahah
    great tip, thanks!
    lyb
    your mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tip. My keyword is always mid century. I should try it. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie, I subscribe to estatesales.net, they are nationwide and they send me an email with the upcoming estate sales within my area. You can specific your city and distance from your city in case you are willing to drive 100 miles for an estate sale:) I love it, I get a new email every week, and just browse the sales to see if I want to go or not. Thought I would pass that along..just in case you hadn't heard about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i subscribe to estatesales.net also - next week i'm posting a big "estate sales" post that will talk about that too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and for leaving a comment! I try to reply by email to most comments - if you are a blogger user, please make sure you have your email address set so that you're not a "no-reply" user.