Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Vintage Planters + Succulents

In my 30 Before Thirty list, I wrote that I wanted to get and keep alive more plants. I have one small houseplant that Emily gave me awhile back and our house doesn't get much sun, so it hasn't grown very much. I had potted succulents left over from our wedding but I can't keep them alive, for some reason. They're not the thick, dessert kind of succulent, they're more like a plant than a cactus... and I just can't keep them alive!

I bought some cute vintage planters from my friend Valerie and was inspired by the cute terrariums and succulent gardens I've seen all over online. I bought the thick, dessert kind of succulent and gravel and cactus soil.



I first put down a thin layer of gravel, then cactus soil, then tried to carefully plant the various plants and then covered it in gravel.

I really don't know what I'm doing, but I've read up on succulents and this seems to be the right thing to do! There's only one area in our house that gets good sunlight, so they're all crammed in near the kitchen sink! Hopefully they'll stay alive!

If they do, I'm going to find more vintage planters and plant more in cute arrangements with small woodland creatures (notice the squirrel?) or army men (by Andy's request) and then try to sell them!

Do you think people would buy them? They buy terarriums... how about little planters? :)

If you're new to Owl Really, welcome! Please check out my favorite posts and consider subscribing! :)

4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, they are sooo cute! I love, love, love that little army man! silly andy!
    did you do this to YOUR succulents as well? or just some that you bought?
    That picture collage looks fabulous! very professional!
    lyb
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. People will definitely buy them! One, they are super cute! Two, I've seen succulents like this for sale lots of different types of places. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I think people will buy them! They're really cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and for leaving a comment! I try to reply by email to most comments - if you are a blogger user, please make sure you have your email address set so that you're not a "no-reply" user.