Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Thirty Before 30: Decorating the Living Room Wall



My birthday was so great - I am so thankful for all the amazing people in our lives! I will write more soon about it - stay tuned!

Meanwhile, do you remember when I posted a hilarious photo of a flower drawing Andy hung on the wall? I had hammered SO many nails in the wall and hung a lot of frames filled with various things but then took them down once we were married and he moved in because the arrangement felt VERY girly. I took down his flower drawing and hung it on our fridge which left the wall above our couch empty for months and months and months.

Recently, I decided to no longer use nails and instead use 3m Command Strips. I love these things! They are so versatile and work SO well.

It took me awhile to figure out the configuration I wanted and which prints/drawings/print-outs/etc to hang. I went with the below arrangement which is all subject to change since it's so easy to swap out with the strips! (No, I'm not getting paid to promote them, I just love them!)


livingroom

PS, it's really hard to take photos of frames with glass! How do people do that? Is there a trick I'm missing? Do professionals remove the glass for photo shoots?

The arrangement is a little small for the wall but it works for now. (It might also be too high, or that might be an optical illusion.) Someday, I'd love to get larger artwork or something but for now, this is what we have - a mixture of original art from an estate sale, old family photos of my mom and her cousins, a cute globe postcard from "France" in Epcot, my Rebekka Seale sparrow print, a few ACEOS from etsy, and the birdcage print is an old school flashcard.

Someday I really want a new couch - a more streamlined, mid-century couch. I got this one on Craigslist years ago when my style was very shabby chic/pottery barn-esque and unfortunately I haven't been able to find an appropriate couch and then we got Lucy and want to wait to make sure she wouldn't tear a new couch up. 

If you're new to Owl Really, welcome! Please check out my favorite posts and consider subscribing! :)

4 comments:

  1. It looks really beautiful! And I love your blue pillows a lot. I have the hardest time figuring out groupings like that but you did it great.

    And um, wow - Lucy is huge now! I'm glad to hear that she's leaving couches alone. I'll trade you three cats for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture! :) It looks like a cozy spot, even though you're over the couch.
    The arrangement looks good, happy you have found a way to change things up frequently without nails!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get so excited to see your style!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and for leaving a comment! I try to reply by email to most comments - if you are a blogger user, please make sure you have your email address set so that you're not a "no-reply" user.