Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A Doris Day Weekend

Since the first time I saw Pillow Talk years ago, I have loved Doris Day! 

Every now and then, I check for Doris Day streaming movies because I have a hunch that Netflix is rotating them out. A few months ago, I saw that The Pajama Game was an option but after going to see a local production of the musical, I couldn't find it on instant streaming. But! There are two others - Move Over Darling and Do Not Disturb.

I always wake up early on weekends to let Lucy out and sometimes we stay up and sometimes we go back to bed. This weekend, I stayed up Saturday and watched Move Over Darling and Sunday I stayed up and put on Do Not Disturb.

In "Move Over Darling," Doris Day plays Ellen Arden, a woman who is presumed dead five years after she goes missing in a plane crash. Her husband, played by James Garner, has moved on and marries a woman named Bianca the morning that Ellen is delivered to shore by the navy.

Ellen's mother-in-law encourages her to go stop the honeymoon and then everything devolves into comedic chaos, of course!
image sourceWatch now on Netflix Instant Streaming!



Honestly, I didn't really like Do Not Disturb and lost interest in it when Doris' character went to Paris and got drunk and almost got taken advantage of by an antiques dealer and it was just meant to be funny, not disturbing. If you want to check it out, it's on Netflix here. The beginning was really cute and Doris even got to hold a little fox (that she mistook for a puppy) but once the story progressed, I just found it more and more disturbing. The relief to me is that Doris didn't want to do the movie... but her husband had power of attorney and signed her up for it. (That's disturbing, too.)

All in all, I think Doris Day is adorable and it's fun to cuddle with Lucy on early weekend mornings (we're talking 7am here!) and watch new-to-me movies.


If you're new to Owl Really, welcome! Please check out my favorite posts and consider subscribing! :)

4 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with Do Not Disturb, although I may know it if I see it. But the Move Over Darling, very familiar with it. It's a goodie!
    oh my! you will be here tomorrow! I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Doris Day too! I think my favorites of hers are "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" and definitely, "The Man Who Knew Too Much" because it also has my late boyfriend, Jimmy Stewart in it. Doris was always such a genuinely nice person and still is. She has huge houses built on her property just for her rescued pets to live in. Like pet mansions. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Move Over Darling" is a remake of one of my favorite Cary Grant movies-- have you ever seen "My Favorite Wife", with CG and Irene Dunne? LOVE. IT. Love them both. I haven't seen Do Not Disturb, but now I'm (morbidly) curious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently checked out every movie our library had staring the wonderful Doris Day. "I'll See You in My Dreams" was one I'd never heard of, but I loved it. Even my teenage daughter sat down to watch (and that is a ringing endorsement if I've ever heard one!) "The Man Who Knew Too Much" is my absolute favorite, though. When she is playing the piano and singing while Jimmy Stewart looks for their son, I always start to cry. She pours her mother's heart into that scene and it gets me every time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and for leaving a comment! I try to reply by email to most comments - if you are a blogger user, please make sure you have your email address set so that you're not a "no-reply" user.