Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Favorite Finds: Michelle's Foot Stools


Last year, I tried to do a "Favorite Finds" post every Wednesday but I ran out of contributors (and steam!). I'd love to continue doing them, so if you have a submission, please email me at jamie@owlreally.com!

This week, we have a Favorite Find from Michelle at Buttered Toast Rocks! Check out her awesome foot stools below (and her adorable pup!).

michellestools1

What is your favorite find and where did you find it?
I found these orange foot stools at a Boy Scouts rummage sale, held in the parking lot of a local Lutheran church. It was a sunny Saturday morning, and my husband and I had a list of garage and estate sales to visit.  I wasn't holding out hope for finding vintage at this sale, but we couldn't do a drive by without driving into the parking lot.  Once we turned in, I saw one lovely orange footstool.

What was your first thought when you spotted it?
Before I even got out of the car I was thinking I was going to have a hard time convincing my husband that we should buy it.  He's not a fan of those wonderful colors of burnt orange, avocado green and harvest gold like I am!  I prepared him as we walked across the lot, that I was pretty sure I was buying it regardless of the color or his opinion.  He grimaced at the color, but he really liked the look of the wooden legs.


Did you know right away it was coming home with you?
When I saw the price tag of $1, I knew it was coming with me!  But I was still thinking I would take it down to my booth instead of keeping it. As my husband picked it up to carry it for me, one of the ladies running the sale said if I liked it, I might like this other one, and she stood up to show the matching foot stool.  Two for $2?  I had to have them.


michellestools2


Did you have to do any repair/restoration/updates to them? 
I didn't have to do any repairs.  The legs are solidly screwed onto the base and the end caps are perfect for sliding across our hardwood floors without scratching.&nbsp

Where do they live now?
If I'd never tested them out in our house, they'd be down at my shop.  But I did put my feet up on one, and my husband put his feet up on the other, and it was like we'd been waiting for these stools to make our living room even better.  With a house full of teenagers and dogs, they have stood up to heavy use and still look as great as when I brought them home.


Why do you love buying vintage/secondhand?
I've always liked shopping garage sales.  My hope chest was filled with vintage treasures by the time I was 17.  I try to keep it to certain collections as I've gotten older and the house seems to get smaller.

For myself, I can't pass up a ceramic dog or anything Christmas.  My daughter has been the voice of reason when we shopped, reminding me that if I didn't have a place for it, I shouldn't buy it.  That all changed when I rented a space at our local antique mall.  Now I shop with a purpose and the whole family approves.  For my husband and I, our Saturday excursions are kid free dates and we look forward to getting up early (yes, on a Saturday!) and treasure hunting. For my kids, they have discovered they have first pick of things I bring home!  Sometimes it's just a book that catches their eye, other times it's a set of juice glasses that fit in their hands perfectly.  

Michelle, thank you SO much for sharing! I'm so happy you found the perfect foot stools for your home!

If you're new to Owl Really, welcome! Please check out my favorite posts and consider subscribing! :)

3 comments:

  1. Those were quite a steal! I love them! I'd have kept them too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those! They're the perfect color too. And REALLY cheap. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! There is something just so cool about seeing what others have found and why they love it. Those stools are awesome!

    I'll be emailing you soon Jamie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and for leaving a comment! I try to reply by email to most comments - if you are a blogger user, please make sure you have your email address set so that you're not a "no-reply" user.