Last week I told you about my new hobby- ceramics! I went back on Saturday to keep working on my Santa and Mrs. Claus. When we arrived, they were sitting on a shelf with a few other pieces that Barbara has done. I grabbed them so I could put two coats of primer on them:
Primered up! I used a color called "whisper gray" for priming. You have to make sure ALL the white is covered up - the little crevices of the hair and his beard can be tricky. Barbara has some magnifying glasses that she inspects the pieces with to make sure you've covered everything.
While I was priming, Nanny worked on cleaning up a Christmas tree. She removed all the seams. I found out that Christmas tree molds normally come in 3 pieces, so they have 3 seams to clean. It's a lot of work but at least the ridginess of the tree is forgiving!
After I primed, it was time to antique. Antiquing helps give the piece definition. I covered them in black antiquing stain, then wiped the stain off. The antiquing medium stays behind in the little crevices and when I dry-brush them, it will show through and give the piece depth and definition.
They almost look like stone or concrete now!
This is a much longer process than I anticipated, but I'm so glad I'm learning this craft! This Saturday, I will start learning how to dry brush them! WOO!