As I was waiting for Spring to finally get here, I realized there were lots of little things I did to make it FEEL more like Spring even though the weather wasn't cooperating. I started jotting those down and then thought of even MORE ways to welcome Spring. SO, if you're still feeling wowed by this great weather (or if the weather still isn't cooperating where you are!), here are 40 cheap or free ways to welcome Spring!
- Next time you need laundry detergent or fabric softener, buy a new scent to fill your home with a new fragrance.
- Even if you're only awake for an hour before heading to work, open all your blinds and let the light in.
- Spend $1 extra to buy the "fancier" soap or dish detergent. (You know, instead of buying the normal brand, get JR Watkins or Method, etc).
- Get a bright new dish towel to hang in your kitchen.
- Clean your stove. Not fun, but really rewarding.
- Purge utensils if you have an overflowing spatula caddy.
- Clear your fridge off--removing all those magnets and invitations can really make your kitchen feel clean and fresh.
- Use your fabric scraps to sew a new table runner, cafe curtains, pot holder, etc.
- Pick up a candle in a new scent. (Smells are so important for welcoming spring, I think!)
- Follow your favorite florist on Facebook to find out when they have clearance blooms for sale for a cheap bouquet.
- Keep an eye out for clearance plants after holidays. (I got shamrock plants for $2 a piece after St. Patrick's Day!)
- Fix that thing you've been meaning to fix. You know, that squeaky door or broken tile that's been driving you crazy.
- Trade chores with a friend--help clean out a garage in exchange for help with landscaping, for example.
- Pick up a colorful welcome mat next time you're at the store.
- Grab a gnome in the garden center for a few dollars for a cheery flowerbed addition.
- Have a friend with a green thumb? Ask her to make some cuttings for you so you can try your own hand at growing.
- Buy Rit dye for a few dollars and dye curtains, pillow covers, even your clothes.
- Pick up "oops" paint at the hardware store (returns or color mistakes) for a room makeover for under $10.
- Spray paint something! Grab a frame or knick knack and give it a color makeover.
- Take a few hours to be a tourist in your town--scope out attractions you've always wanted to visit but never have.
- Learn how to make a new, refreshing cocktail.
- Host a potluck brunch.
- Host a jewelry swap.
- Spring clean and make some extra cash by having a yard sale.
- Learn a new craft.
- Make a craft date with a friend on a coffee shop patio.
- Listen to only "oldies" for a week.
- Color your hair! Buying box color is between you and your stylist (if you're brave enough to confess to her that you DIYed your color) but you could also visit a local hair school to get all-over color for as little as $10!
- Grab your pup and head to the dog park!
- Get out to a local festival or concert in the park.
I hope this list gives you some fun ideas this season! What are your favorite ways to welcome Spring?? Share in the comments!