Thursday, June 6, 2013

Google Reader Replacement: The Old Reader

Probably by now you've heard that Google Reader is going away this summer. A lot of people have been scrambling to find a replacement that works similarly - have you found your replacement yet?

Screen shot 2013-06-04 at 9.11.14 PM

I have! I have been using The Old Reader for a month or two and I really like it. It looks almost exactly like Google Reader and functions the same way too - you can use j, k, and the spacebar to navigate through your posts just like in Google Reader. You can group subscriptions, save them, and even share them. The Old Reader has a social media aspect to it in which you can add friends and share posts with them.

A lot of people are switching to BlogLovin, which is great, but it doesn't allow you to import Craigslist subscriptions, which I would have a hard time not following!

If you haven't found your replacement yet, I hope this helps! There are some very visual options out there,but I just wanted a very straightforward text-based RSS reader and found what I was looking for in The Old Reader!

If you're new to Owl Really, welcome! Please check out my favorite posts and consider subscribing! :)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation! I am still using GR til its last dying breath, but I also signed up for Feedly because it got such good reviews. Honestly, I don't like it that much. The computer version is better to me than the phone app. I honestly dislike the phone app so much... I'll have to check this one out for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so bummed... I like the interface of the Old Reader but it won't import my feeds and folders correctly. I've even tried canceling my account and reopening it. I don't have the time to set it up again like I did in GR. I saw that it was in Beta, so maybe I'll try it again sometime later. Til then I guess I'm going to try and get used to Feedly. lol. ;)

      Delete
  2. cool! I have switched. So far, so good.
    pinned this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jamie! I've switched to "feedly" and really like the format. I was able to import all subscriptions easy-peasy. Will check out Old Reader, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and for leaving a comment! I try to reply by email to most comments - if you are a blogger user, please make sure you have your email address set so that you're not a "no-reply" user.